Macros, Keto, Paleo, Flexible Dieting, Whole 30, South Beach, Zone, Vegan, Atkins, Raw Food, Mediterranean and the list goes on and on…
It’s a new year and I know many of you are looking to lose weight and or body fat but you aren’t exactly sure how to do it. With so many different opinions on diets out there I know it can be very confusing. Don’t get caught up in the dieting trends hype. There is no such thing as the “best” diet. Yes some are definitely better than others but the truth is most of these diets work on some level, for some people, for various reasons.
I will keep it simple for you. With regards to dieting, safe and healthy fat loss comes down to these 5 factors:
1. Consistency! What matters more than anything is that you are consistent so it is important to find a diet that you can live with long term. If your diet is tortuous and requires all the self discipline you can muster then chances are you’re going to fail.
2. Energy balance! Weight loss/ fat loss ultimately comes down to an energy balance. If you consume less calories than you’re expending you will eventually lose weight/fat. If you consume more calories than you are expending you will eventually gain weight.
3. Portion Control! Portion control is the easiest and most effective way to maintain a healthy body fat percentage or lose unwanted body fat. You can if you want to but you don’t need to count calories to lose weight.
4. Whole Foods! Eat real food! You’re diet should include approximately 80% or more whole foods. Whole food is essentially real food with minimal processing, preservatives and additives. These include grains, beans, legumes, nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables, dairy products and animal foods such as eggs, meat, fish and poultry.
5. Balance your macronutrients! Try to eat macronutrient balanced meals as often as possible. You must include all three macronutrients—carbohydrates, protein, and fats—in a healthy diet. In general, a well balanced diet consists of about 45% to 65% carbohydrates, 10% to 35% protein, and 20% to 35% fats. Fat isn’t bad, carbs aren’t bad and protein isn’t bad for you. Anybody that tells you different doesnt know what they are talking about.
I promise that if you focus on these 5 factors you will not only lose unwanted weight/ body fat but you will greatly improve your overall health in general!